Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A new career as a writer

When my book, To Cause A Death, was published in June 2004, I had no idea how it would be received. The topic of causing an accidental death is hardly a common conversation subject, in fact it's far more likely to stop a conversation rather than enhance it!
Another unknown aspect of my book was whether my experience had any resonance at all with others who share my destiny; I'd never found another book that describes a first-hand account of causing an accidental death so I had nothing to compare my story to.
But the unknown quantity that provoked the most anxiety was whether my untested writing skills were adequate to convey the extraordinary thirty-three year odyssey that I was catapulted into when I caused the death of a pedestrian, Margaret Healy.
It is now exactly two years since the books publication and thankfully, I can report that all three of the concerns described above have had positive outcomes. The book has been very well received both by the media and the reading public; my story has encouraged others who share my destiny to speak their own stories (see my website http://www.kellyconnor.com for examples); and, I've been pleasantly surprised by the positive comments about my writing style.
So, what now? This blog will be about what happens next to a 52 year old woman who suddenly finds herself on the cusp of a new career as a writer. And, it will be about the ongoing journey of my first book, which is now in the process of being adapted for the stage.

No comments: