Thursday, June 22, 2006

Preparing a conference presentation

This time of the morning is usually given to the writing of my second book, The Moondance of Destiny. However, for the next four weeks it won't be possible to give much attention to book writing. Instead I'll be focussing on three very important events that are about to unfold. These are: the imminent wedding of my daughter Meegan, on Saturday, 1st July; an extended visit from a dear friend, Liz, who is coming for the wedding and staying with me for three weeks; and finally, my preparation for a giving a presentation to a major conference taking place at the CBI on July 6th.

The theme of the conference, wait for it, is Corporate Manslaughter. You can find out more about the conference at my website but basically it's about the new legislation that will hold corporate executives accountable for any deaths that occur, either of, or by their employees, if the death can be shown to have resulted from inadquate company policy or practices.

I've been invited to speak to the delegates about my experience of causing an accidental death. My presentation isn't a facts and figures talk but a dramatic retelling of the terrible consequences of causing a death. It's a 45 minute scripted monologue that I've performed many times, including at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2004. However, I only have 30 mintes for the conference slot so I have to rework the script. This means reducing an already cut to the bones presentation by one third!! And then of course, once it's edited, I have to remember not to fall into the habit of presenting it in the usual way. Hence, I will be giving a fair amount of time and energy over these next two weeks to getting it right. After all, the conference organisers have taken a gamble putting me on the speakers list so I don't want to let them down.

Anyway, enough procrastinating. Time to get editing.

No comments: